Thursday, March 15, 2012

Week One!

It has been one week of having every member of the family in the same hemisphere!  A friend asked me if it felt longer or shorter than that.  I am not sure.  I have been surprised at how tired I have been.  I didn't even fly half way around the world, and yet I feel jet-lagged some days!

I could complain about the little things that I knew to expect would drive me crazy.  Like the fact that the suitcases remain on the living room floor half unpacked. 

Or that I rarely return people's phone calls (did you notice?), although I very much appreciate them. 

Or that I feel like all I accomplish on any day is to feed people.  It is a nearly endless stream of feeding and cleaning up.  We use so many dishes it is unbelievable!

Second breakfast all cleaned up.

Lunch just finished.

Monday was my maiden voyage with two toddlers by myself.  It took 25 minutes to get in the car with everything and only two-thirds of us cried at any point so I think I will consider it successful.  All we needed to do was pick up James from chemistry class, thank goodness.   

Yesterday my parents came for a visit with a cooler of food.  Not just any food, but my dad's food, which is incredible. 

Everyone I know who has eaten anything he makes thinks he should have opened a restaurant.  It is true.  Marinara sauce and meatballs (carefully separated to appeal to both the vegetarians and carnivores in the family), twice baked potatoes, seafood creole, chicken salad and even bread!  All of it frozen in meal size portions for future use.  My mother says food is my dad's love language - apparently he loves us a lot!!  She brought flowers she grew for the table and her usual enthusiasm for all that we are doing.  I am so blessed to have such a great relationship with my parents.  It helps that they think all of my children are amazing, even the newest one.

1 comment:

  1. don't know if you even check comments, Stewart, but I wanted you to know that I love your blog & am so excited when there's a new post, even though I live just a few miles away & could drop in & see all this for myself! You're in our prayers & one of these days, we'll bring some food, too, though not as good as your dad's. No matter how you feel on any given day, just remember you have rescued that little girl. You're my hero.
    Trisha

    ReplyDelete